Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Hamilton - Ron Denis is an incredible man

After expressing a less than shining tribute to his departed mentor Ron Dennis in China, Lewis Hamilton now insists the 61-year-old is an ‘incredible man’.

Surrounded by reporters in Shanghai, the reigning world champion's assertion that he was ‘surprised’ but ‘not disappointed’ about Dennis' decision to pull away from the McLaren team entirely did not go down well with the British press.

But in an interview subsequently posted on his official website this week, the 24-year-old had more to say about the impact of the man who invested in him as a youngster and groomed him all the way into a Mercedes-powered F1 debut.

"We all owe him more than we could ever repay him for building this great team," the Briton said.

Hamilton also seemed to address speculation that Hamilton is being non-committal about the health of his long-term allegiance to the Woking-based squad, with father-manager Anthony reportedly furious about his family's tarnished image amid the 'lie-gate' scandal.

Referring again to Dennis, he said: "Both my family and I are going to do our best to continue the progress we have made over the past two seasons with the team and hope that we can continue to make him proud of having invested in me.”

"I was 12 when I first met Ron and, without his vision, I would not be here. I'll never forget - and neither will my family."

No comments:

Post a Comment