Sunday, April 19, 2009

Vettel was very delighted with his victory

Sebastian Vettel was a delighted man after clinching his second Formula 1 victory in the Chinese Grand Prix, the German giving Red Bull Racing its made victory.

The 21-year-old, who last year became the youngest ever winner when he took victory at the Italian Grand Prix with Toro Rosso, dominated the wet race from pole position and crossed the finish line 10 seconds ahead of team-mate Mark Webber, who completed a 1-2 for the Milton Keynes team.

Vettel praised his team following the overnight work to fix the problems that had hindered both him and Webber on Saturday.

"I am extremely happy," admitted Vettel, now fourth in the championship standings. "Second time now I've won a grand prix in the wet. The car was fantastic, it is definitely necessary to mention team did a really, really good job in preparing the car.

"We were struggling a bit with reliability, but we fixed it overnight. That speaks of the quality of our team, everybody was trying to fix it. Both cars finished the race. Having a double win for Red Bull is incredible."

The German admitted the race, which took place entirely in the wet, had been very hard given the conditions.

He also welcomed the decision to start behind the safety car.

"I think first of all it was the right decision to start behind the safety car as there was a lot of standing water," said Vettel. "It was okay at some corners but every lap there would be aquaplaning, sometimes less sometimes more.

"We knew we were on a short strategy so I had to push at the beginning to get away from the pack which we succeeded in doing.

"It was very difficult race, a lot of aquaplaning, you were just catching cars, keeping it on circuit. I think I had best conditions as no cars were running in front of me the whole race so it was quite comfortable but still difficult with the aquaplaning, especially in the last corner."

Vettel said he took it easy in the last part of the race, trying to avoid errors and bringing the car home.

"With some 10 laps to the end I was always trying to observe the gap to car behind and trying to adapt to his pace. I was trying to have everything in control but it is extremely difficult. I tried to bring the car home. I tried to really be focused corner by corner and not looking too far ahead.

"The last two laps I backed off, I didn't want to risk going off the track in the same way. Winning the second race, and having won here for Toro Rosso and Red Bull is fantastic."

No comments:

Post a Comment