Friday, August 21, 2009

Alonso - "Piquet sack by human factor"

Fernando Alonso is of the opinion that difficult interpersonal relationships between former teammate Nelson Piquet and Renault team management contributed and eventually led to the young Brazilian's sacking.

Following the Hungarian Grand Prix last month, Nelson Piquet was advised by Renault that his services were no longer required after a season and a half spent racing with the team he joined as a Formula One rookie.

The ensuing statements from the Brazilian were very critical of Renault boss Flavio Briatore – also his current manager – whom he accused of holding double standards between the team's drivers. He also blasted the Italian for having done little to help his F1 career, with Piquet saying he considered Briatore as his 'executioner.'

At the drivers' press conference held in the Valencia paddock media centre on Thursday, Fernando Alonso gave his opinion on the matter: "Obviously something went wrong with him, with the team or whatever.

"Technically speaking, I think we always had the same car; this has to be clear," insisted the double World Champion. "But maybe on the other side, on the human side (...) he was maybe never very happy with the team or whatever, so it was difficult."

Alonso reminisced on his own experience when, after a maiden year racing with Minardi and another year spent test-driving for Renault, he was offered a race seat with the team.

"I also remember my time in 2003-4 with the team," he related. "It was not so easy when you arrive in Formula One and being a hundred percent confident and happy with the team, so I think this was one of the problems with Nelsinho unfortunately."

The Spaniard had good words to say regarding his now-former teammate: "I think that I always had a good relationship with Nelson. I consider him to be a very good driver and a very nice person. I'm sure he will have more opportunities in Formula One because I really think he has the talent."

As for Romain Grosjean, the Renault reserve driver who will become a Grand Prix racer this weekend at the controls of the second R29, Alonso pointed out that the Frenchman holds "a big opportunity to consolidate his Formula One career."

Alonso added: "I hope the best for Nelsinho as I said and I also hope the best for Romain to do well."

No comments:

Post a Comment